Friday, September 10, 2010

TAI CHI # 6

Something amazing is happening, six weeks in and though I still don't like the reflection I see in the mirror, she is definitely a different woman than she was six weeks ago. Graceful, no, but less awkward, yes, yes and yes.
Every week is an adventure at the Center. 

This week as I walked in a lady said to me "You are an Elvis fan, yes?"  I replied; "No, I am a Beatles fan." "Oh", she exclaimed, as I continued walking into the building to sign in. Then lo and behold, ten feet in front of me stood Elvis.  He looked about 35 years younger, but flashy as ever, with a colorful paisley shirt, a wide sparkling gold belt, sunglasses, tight spandex pants, perfectly coiffed black hair and tanned to the hilt.

Now I knew he was not there for Tai Chi.  Nope, the room outside of the exercise room was full of patrons anxiously anticipating the entrance of Elvis.  As I waited outside of the exercise room for the Zumba class to finish Elvis appeared on stage to the music from the movie "Space Odyssey".  A musical introduction I am sure he carefully chose. It seemed rather grandiose to me. But, who am I too judge Elvis? The crowd went wild.......


So, Tai Chi last night was performed to the beat of Elvis rather than to the normal meditative Chinese music.We are moving more cohesively, relatively speaking, considering it is only our sixth lesson.  However, how could one not feel the movement flow with Elvis, right next door, alternating from rocking it out with "Blue Suede Shoes",  to crooning  "Are you Lonesome Tonight?"     A perfect mix of East and West.

No comments: