Tuesday, October 26, 2010

DOORS

A friend of mine blogged about doors today. She posted a lovely image of a purple door and asked about the opportunities doors offer us. They invite us to enter, move beyond, or avoid them. They offer us opportunity, mystery, excitement and sometimes danger.

It struck a chord in me.   Not a philosophical one, but rather a memorable one, buried deep in the recesses of my mind.

As a youngster living in a council housing scheme in Scotland once every other year the city sent workers around to paint the front doors of each house. This was an exciting event for me. Each day I watched as neighborhood doors were painted, Mrs. Smith got a green one, Mrs. Balmer got a blue one, Mrs. Braceland got a yellow one, and lucky Mrs. Robertson got a shiny red door. I tried to formulate the color system, hoping with all my heart our door would be painted pillar box red. I had a penchant for red at that time. Each day, the painters would advance, each day the door colors would rotate,  then the paint would run out and another day would wane.

After what seemed like an eternity, I came home from school one day and low and behold our door was newly painted hunter green..... disappointment....no red door this year. 

But  hope springs eternal and before I knew it the painters would be back again and the door color lottery would begin once again.


Simple pleasures....


No comments: