Sunday, June 3, 2007

What AM I doing?

"The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it."

- William James, philosopher and psychologist

I am pondering, no, not pondering, but rather steeped in the weight of brokeness that surrounds me and distracts me. In a state of flux setting up repairs and performing the labor I can handle myself keeps me busy, tired, broke and depressed. Not enough time to think about spending my life for something that will outlast it. Would that my life was that simple. That is my initial reaction to the words of wisdom from dear William James.

On deeper reflection I realize that my troubles are very convenient, they change the focus of my life. Could it be I am happy being troubled and I am setting up troubles, just to stay troubled? That's a lot of trouble in one sentence and in one life....... Perish the thought.

But, I think I may be on to something here. Life is simply Cause and Effect, no?
If I maintain things before they break life would be a whole lot easier and less expensive. And apart from that, who am I to question William James? Though I would love to be afforded that opportunity. Maybe in my next life....

No comments: